Here are some new, old summer pictures for you:
I’m happy to declare my decision on the naming of the bathroom project.
I’m calling it The Gladden Fields Project
Hands up everyone who saw it comming!
I had a lot of reservation to choose that particular name, and I’m affraid that I there will be an increase of juwelry sock losing, but I just had to!
Also I want to share a picture with you
It’s about a crane becomming … well a crane.
I’m really hoping this transparent spacing stuff will help. I would hate to do this bird more often than necessary.
… I actually considered taking out the window, placing it over the painted sketch and do the thing as one piece.
I’m glad I didn’t. I created about seven or eight „Puzzleteile“ (and the leaves) and combined them on the window.
Retrospectively I’m glad I didn’t do the whole-window-version. It couldn’t but end in a mess.
Windowcolor is a bitch!
I remember now why I did not do more projects with that stuff.
It takes a lot of time. You do the outline, you let it dry for some hours, you fill the spaces, you let it dry for some hours, you correct some details, you let it …
Also the finally finished pieces are awfully sticky and tensile, they tend to warp if you just look at them in the wrong way! Once they started to stick together there is almost no way to seperate them again AND retain a basic idea of the original shape.
This stuff is supposed to be for children!
How do they manage to do this little pictures you can see everywere?
Anyway … I’ve done a test piece which will be lodging in our tub for a couple of weeks to see if it likes it there. (I’ve read that some sorts of windowcolor tend to liquidate in moist environments, … so test piece)
This is how it looks like
You can see that there is only one flower left. Two didn’t survive.
I’m going to buy some of this transparent space filler stuff, maybe it will help …
Any ideas concerning a name for the project?
Here’s a speach Neil Gaiman gave last May:
There’s also a comic strip by Gavin Aung Than, who took a bit from the middle of the speach an made it into a comic.
(Actually I read the comic first and until today had no idea what the original speach was like)
This speach is floating around the internet for some time now, so maybe you have seen it already.
But maybe you don’t and you’re listening to it now and you’re feeling as touched and inspired as I am right now.
Do what only you can do best.
During the last few month I’ve been sporadically folding origami figures. Beeing a bird person my motives were mostly of the feathery kind.
Both, the paper I was using, and my folding skills were not very good, so I’ve often reached my limits halfway during the instructions in the books.
Also I’ve tried wet folding (which means using a moist paper to achieve models which are more three dimensional shaped) which did’t work well because the paper expanded unevenly and also started to break.
ANYWAY, here are some pictures of origami birds
Last week Lindir gave me some original origami paper, which is much more thinner (and comes in more colours) than my cheap handicraft paper. Maybe with origami paper it’s the same as with whisky cola – it’s better when you use the real thing …
So I have this bathroom.
It’s an ordinary bathroom, with a basin, toilet, bath tub and light blue tiles.
I’m not much of a blue person, but they are OK.
And they crave to be decorated.
So I thought about doing some kind of underwater, deep sea, landscape thingy with lots of fancy fishes, jellyfish and algae …
I’d like to use windowcolor again, because it is removable and as I’m living in a rented flat I’m not allowed to make permanent alterations, even if they are really, really gorgeous.
That’s Swabia for you.
Naturally I’d like to do art noveau style again.
Also I’d thought about doing it a bit more like a repeating pattern. One piece over and over again. With small alterations of course. There should be some tiled feeling about the whole thing. (I’m talking about the area around the bathtub, not the window – in case you’re wondering)
So, here is my first sketch for a unit of underwater landscape:
No, it’s not a „Themaverfehlung“, it’s just the way my brain works.
It’s not ab big step from underwater to marshy landscape – at least it’s not a space station. (I’m watching DS9 at the moment … )
I’ve got my models from two books.
First the crane.
This one I have also in my PC. The manipulated, gray version looks like this.
I’m planing on doing pieces with both variations. I just like them all very much and can’t decide which one to take. So I’ll rotate.
And here’s a first picture of a blue iris:
What do you think!?!
As of now you can buy prints of my pictures at Artflakes.
I’m just getting started on this, so there are only a few offers at the moment. But there will be more.
If there is any picture you’re especially interested in – please let me know!
I still want to show you my adventures with the apple bark.
I told you about making the pigments.
Now I tried to turn them into some watercolour paint.
The recipe itself is easy:
You take one part (e.g. one teaspoon) of gum arabic and two parts of destiled water (or water that had been boiling at some point in the past and is at room temperature now) and mix them together until it becomes a smooth, runny paste (not unlike batter for pancakes).
Then you take about one part of the pigment and stir it into the batter. You keep on stirring until all of the lumps are gone and it’s an a smooth paste (this time it’s more like thick batter for spaetzle). Maybe you have to add some more pigments, but thats ok.
So far the theory.
The reality looks like this
It feels a bit like sandstone and it behaves like sandstone – meaning that it refuses to give away any colour.
Vegetale paint I’m not done with you yet!