Birds in Origami

During the last few month I’ve been sporadically folding origami figures. Beeing a bird person my motives were mostly of the feathery kind.
Both, the paper I was using, and my folding skills were not very good, so I’ve often reached my limits halfway during the instructions in the books.
Frustration: check!

Also I’ve tried wet folding (which means using a moist paper to achieve models which are more three dimensional shaped) which did’t work well because the paper expanded unevenly and also started to break.

ANYWAY, here are some pictures of origami birds

Last week Lindir gave me some original origami paper, which is much more thinner (and comes in more colours) than my cheap handicraft paper. Maybe with origami paper it’s the same as with whisky cola – it’s better when you use the real thing …

The Yet To Be Named Bathroom Project

So I have this bathroom.
It’s an ordinary bathroom, with a basin, toilet, bath tub and light blue tiles.

I’m not much of a blue person, but they are OK.
And they crave to be decorated.

So I thought about doing some kind of underwater, deep sea, landscape thingy with lots of fancy fishes, jellyfish and algae …

I’d like to use windowcolor again, because it is removable and as I’m living in a rented flat I’m not allowed to make permanent alterations, even if they are really, really gorgeous.
That’s Swabia for you.

Naturally I’d like to do art noveau style again.
Also I’d thought about doing it a bit more like a repeating pattern. One piece over and over again. With small alterations of course. There should be some tiled feeling about the whole thing. (I’m talking about the area around the bathtub, not the window – in case you’re wondering)

So, here is my first sketch for a unit of underwater landscape:



No, it’s not a „Themaverfehlung“, it’s just the way my brain works.
It’s not ab big step from underwater to marshy landscape – at least it’s not a space station. (I’m watching DS9 at the moment … )

I’ve got my models from two books.

First the crane.


This one I have also in my PC. The manipulated, gray version looks like this.


I’m planing on doing pieces with both variations. I just like them all very much and can’t decide which one to take. So I’ll rotate.

And here’s a first picture of a blue iris:

What do you think!?!


As of now you can buy prints of my pictures at Artflakes.

I’m just getting started on this, so there are only a few offers at the moment. But there will be more.
If there is any picture you’re especially interested in – please let me know!

poster und Kunstdrucke kaufen


I still want to show you my adventures with the apple bark.

I told you about making the pigments.
Now I tried to turn them into some watercolour paint.

The recipe itself is easy:

You take one part (e.g. one teaspoon) of gum arabic and two parts of destiled water (or water that had been boiling at some point in the past and is at room temperature now) and mix them together until it becomes a smooth, runny paste (not unlike batter for pancakes).
Then you take about one part of the pigment and stir it into the batter. You keep on stirring until all of the lumps are gone and it’s an a smooth paste (this time it’s more like thick batter for spaetzle). Maybe you have to add some more pigments, but thats ok.

So far the theory.
The reality looks like this

apple paint

It feels a bit like sandstone and it behaves like sandstone – meaning that it refuses to give away any colour.

Vegetale paint I’m not done with you yet!

Not good

I ran out of book before I ran out of week.

I planed to aquire new reading material at the weekend but I finished my book (first in a trilogy) today. And now I have two workdays still to go …

I tried reading some classical fantasy short stories by people like Lin Carter or Roger Zelazny, but .. that’s not really an option.

If don’t find anything readable soon, I’m going to be stuck with a book about vegetarian diet or maybe Erich Fromms ‚Die Kunst des Liebens‘ – not really easy listening reading.

ps. sorry for the bad english 🙁

Captain Jack

After spending one day in the presence of a whole horde of chirping sparrow families I just had no chance but to invite one of them into my home.

You will notice the cherry flowers on the bunch, which tells you that he lives here for some time now. I’m afraid I’m a bit behind schedule at the moment – some things just have to wait til they get told.

Prequel to ‚The Yet To Be Named Bathroom Project‘

Some of you may remember my my last, epic adventure with windowcolor?

Back in bavaria, I decorated my bedroom window.
Sounds boring …
But I didn’t do the usual little stars and flowers , no I didn’t – I did art noveau, and I did the whole window!

The pattern came from a art noveau pattern book and I modified it just a little bit to make it fit the frame. I did it in 8-10 pieces, the whole painting would have been imposible to insert into the window.

When we moved out I it too had to go.



With these pictures in mind, I leave you wondering what I’m planing to do to the bathroom … *muah-ha-ha*

Arabesque Flourish

A couple of weeks ago we finally went to the ‚Casa della Lindir‘ to fetch the origami picture I told you about.
It really is gorgeous! To think that it’s just one piece of paper … and these great columnlike, arabesquish … structures, reminding me above all of greek architecture … *sigh*

It’s hanging on our window now – it kept on falling down but it finally surrendered and remained fixed.

The passe-partout has a beautiful ruby colour, a bit like the one on this blog, only deeper.
I like how the light is shining through the paper, becoming this deep yellow shade – surrounded by ruby.

Here’s some details:

You can see the pre-folding lines. There all over the piece. Imagine the effort!

Once again: Thank you very much my dear!
I’m looking forward to the many more things you will create in the future!
Happy folding!